Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Random #2 - No so random...but still a little random...and definitely a little more serious.

Peace of mind... how did I get away with giving people a "piece of my mind" when I was younger, and now that I am older, I just hope to have some peace of mind?  It is interesting and some times funny how we look back and wonder..., and I am sure many of my friends from my younger days will agree with me when I say, I used to always share  what I thought, so here are some random thoughts as of late.

Really, really nice weather in November is like getting extra innings at a baseball game.  My friends and I who really love baseball call it "free" baseball when you get more than the regular nine innings because we the executives plan down to the dollar per inning cost, and extra innings obviously cut into how much they get paid per inning... it is kind of a way to make fun of the astronomical amounts of money folks make in professional sports, especially baseball.   At any rate, the weather in October and so far in November has been all free innings.  In so many ways we gain a little in the game called life when you get an extra two and half months of really nice weather.  The immediate return comes from not using the air conditioner nor heater more than a half dozen times in the six weeks or so.  The family has also been able to take walks after dark and doing so happily because it has been so nice.  Unfortunately that seems to be coming to an end soon as  we can only get some many "extra innings" in a year.  Hopefully the free weather can carry into the not so nice weather and we will get back to nice weather in the spring soon. 

I met with my PhD committee.  It was great, I have a fantastic, energetic, go gett'em adviser, two outstanding methodolgists (Loukia Sarroub, and for those of you who are know qualitative research, you may recognize the name, John Creswell) and a great practitioner (Jim Griesen). I am a bit nervous and a whole lotta relieved that one major stepping stone is behind me.  There are a couple more obvious stepping stones that are going to be a little more difficult, but I look forward the the challenge.  But here is my shout out to my committee... Thanks Rachelle and team!

Another new beginning this winter is the new (to me) snow blower I bought from my neighbor.  The lucky dog is moving to Arizona, (he is retired) and obviously he won't need the snow blower anymore.  So I am kind of looking forward to the new toy, and hopefully more fun way to get the snow out of my driveway at 6am... now I will just have to fire up the blower and it will go much faster!  So bring on the snow!

Finally, a little tribute to my favorite football team --- THE NIGHTHAWKS or as I've started calling them... the Bombers!


The UFL Experience In Omaha is pretty cool.  My way to enjoy the Omaha Nighthawks game day celebration starts with a trip from your parked car to the Omaha Night Life tent, where you get a brat and a beer for taking a picture like the one. Ultimately, we hang out and listen to music and have a good time while we wait for the game to start.  Thanks Dennis for accompanying me to the game against the Nighthawks... what a game...until the fourth quarter.  Then we head up to our seats in the east end zone (AKA - Right Field) and start visiting with the visiting team that is usually warming up, the line man are grunting and pushing each other around.  I usually yell at them, "Welcome to Omaha."   At the last game the full back (Bobby Rome) and I became buddies before the game.  I would yell at him and he would tell me that I should join him on the field, and I told him I was too old for that, and that I would just watch.  I mean, I know they are still better than I am, and in fact ever was...so as the game started he turned out to be the starting fullback which was cool, because the seats I have are so close to the field I really had a chance to ride him during the game.  He wasn't the best blocker out of the backfield but he tried hard.  In the end, it looks like the Loco's will be returning to Omaha for the championship in Nov. 20th, and if the Bombers are not in it, then I will be rooting for the Loco's all because Bobby entertained my harassment, which I don't think would have happened in the NFL! 

Thank you for reading friends!

No comments: